Device specific websites delivered appropriately to the browsing device
Device specific web design is an approach to web design/development in which multiple websites are crafted, one for each type of browsing device. Then a device auto-detection script on the web server identifies the device that the consumer is using to view the domain. The most appropriate website is then delivered to the consumer (i.e. desktop, tablet or mobile website) based on the browsing device.
If your domain is visited from different mobile devices, your consumers may see different designs and even different content because with separate websites design you can send completely different versions of your site to each device.
Device specific websites are a good choice if you want to keep your existing desktop website and add on mobile friendly versions.
A more cost effective and future proof choice nowadays is Responsive Web Design (RWD). It is so much more efficient to create one design that adjusts to different screen sizes than to create many designs optimised for all the different devices. Domains are not only browsed on desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones at different resolutions and sizes. They are also being viewed on television screens, table tops, fridge doors, cars and even Google's new glasses (called Google Glass) and who knows what else, the sky's the limit...
The images below illustrate examples of device specific websites.
How you benefit...
- Better brand identity and positive image for your organisation.
- A competitive advantage to stand out amongst your competitors and capture visitor attention.
- Better engagement, context and improved user experiences for your consumers.
- Better portability and connectivity for your consumers with faster download speeds.
- Integration with offline media through the use of QR codes. Direct users to your mobile website directly from your offline publications.
We can help by...
- Evaluating your online needs and advising whether device specific web design is appropriate for your business and domain.
- If you have an existing desktop website, creating a mobile optimised smartphone and tablet versions based on the theme of your desktop website.
- If you do not have an existing desktop website, creating both desktop and mobile optimised versions.
- Creating and implementing an auto-detection script on your web server to identify the browsing device and deliver the most appropriate desktop or mobile website.
Contact us for more information...
By Anil Sojitra
Deliver the most appropriate site to your consumers.
- Keep existing desktop website.
- Add on mobile friendly websites.
- Reach the broadest mobile audience.